mardi 1 mai 2007

Mobile downsizing

Not sure if mobile downsizing is a correct term or not. The last few weeks I've found that my mobile needs are covered not by a 'multimedia computer' but by the simple Nokia 6300.

The 6300 is small, compact, has a great screen, and covers all the basics you need on a basic phone, and does them well. The menu is snappy, there is no noticeable lag. The battery standby is very good, sound quality is fine. Not really better than a S60 phone in those regards, but at least equal.

Of course, a smartphone allows me to add third party software, so I can increase the functionality on the handset. Add a better email program, another web browser, games, etc. But, I can do all that with the 6300 too. I have added Yahoo Go 2.0 (which will never be as good as the native .sis file Yahoo Go) to the 6300 and it is actually usable. It runs much faster than I experienced on the N73 and E65. I have installed Opera Mini, which is fantastic. I've installed the GMail java app, Sky By Mobile and Yell.com All java apps, all freely available, and all work well on the 6300.

Of course, one noticeable feature missing from the 6300 that I do miss is 3G. When you've used 3G you miss not having it in a new phone. But looking around on the market at the moment, nothing inspires me. There isn't a handset that makes me reach for the credit card and buy it (I'm sure the bank manager is happy to hear that, too!)

Looking around at handsets to come, I can see something arriving that may make me reach for the plastic again. The Nokia 6120 classic.
The 6120 is a simple looking phone, plain in look and design (there is a resemblance to the N73 for me) but plain and normal looking is not a bad thing. For all the phone mods you can do, plain and normal is still the most popular look. But what makes the 6120 classic eye catching is not how it looks, it's what it offers under the casing. The 6120 classic is not only 3G but a HSDPA phone. This makes it an obvious handset for the data user. I've seen demonstrations of speed differences for HSDPA and if you want to download video, or songs, it makes a lot of difference.

The 6120 is a S60v3 phone, and includes a 2.0 megapixel camera. Whilst this may not 'lead the market' it is more than adequate for fun snaps. There is also Bluetooth 2.0 support, EDGE/GPRS for use in non 3G areas, offers an MP3 and video player.

The size of the phone is also something that appeals. Weighing in at just 89g and being just 15mm thick, the plain looking 6120 classic actually measures up to be a decent handset.

So, for me, whilst the 6300 offers everything I could want in a basic phone, and does it very well, for that little bit extra the 6120 classic looks to be the phone for me.

Buy the Nokia 6300 here
Buy the Nokia N73 here
Buy the Nokia E65 here

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting